COPD refers to a group of lung diseases that cause blocked airways, which makes breathing harder. Nearly 30 million Americans have COPD. Breathing can be laborious for people with the disorder, but there are ways to help make breathing easier. Below are some tips for breathing easier with COPD.
- Avoid Smoke: If someone with COPD is a smoker, they should drop the habit. Smoke of any kind agitates the lungs even further. This includes second-hand smoke.
- Exercise: People should check with their doctors first before beginning any exercise regimen. If the doctor okays exercise, it can be a great way to strengthen endurance and the muscles that help control breathing.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated helps control mucus. Too much mucus buildup can make breathing harder.
- Sit when COPD symptoms flare up: When symptoms flare up, sitting down with proper posture can help alleviate symptoms.
- Avoid chemicals: Scented products like perfumes, colognes, fragrances, and scented soaps have chemicals in them that can set off COPD symptoms.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Stay on top of taking COPD medication.
These as just some tips for breathing better with COPD. If symptoms are severe and happening often, talk to your doctor. They can look into your history and look for other solutions to help you. Also, remember that we are here to help with nursing, customizing exercise therapy plans, and more. Medicare pays 100% for qualified beneficiaries.